11/10/2009

A Bad News Sandwich

I have very vivid memories of when I was a kid and my parents used to hit the side and/or top of the television to make it work. I've always wondered how this solution came to be. I imagine my mom or dad got really mad at the t.v. because it wasn't working and punched it real hard and... voila!! It worked.

I posted yesterday how our t.v. died. In reality, it was still mostly functioning. You could hear what was showing but the screen was all green. You couldn't see anything but green... The Green Screen of Death.

In an effort to live out this legacy, I banged really hard on the side of the t.v. and I'll be a monkey's uncle.... the picture came back on.

Now, for The Bad News Sandwich...

Good news is: the t.v. started working again so we could watch part of yet ANOTHER Star Wars movie last night.
Bad news is: the t.v. started working again so chances are slim for buying a new one.
Good news is: the t.v. screen turned green again during Star Wars and it was just frustrating enough that we may have to get a new after all!

Once again, here's hoping for some really good Black Friday sales!

post signature

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

VERY NICE the lessons we learn from our parents ...just hit it ...it will work ...lol

okmft said...

When it quit working the last time (last night), I remembered what Steph said it needed, so I started hitting it pretty hard...but no luck whatsoever. So I was aboutto give up, and thought, "Well, if it's already broken, I really can't hurt it any more than it already is," and *seriously* lit into that television. I really beat it as hard as I could; and lo and behold, it started working again! Just goes to show: "If at first you don't succeed, go get a bigger hammer!"

Terra said...

awesome

Landlocked Shores said...

http://bfads.net/

Be sure to shop the Black Friday ads early so you know where to go and GOOD LUCK!

I love their website...

Nicki

RevJohnMarksCAR said...

Interesting that you banged on the side of the TV in order to watch Star Wars with the Millenium Falcon, which also needs a good bang on the dashboard to get going. Hmmm...maybe your TV is channeling the spirit of Chewbacca!

Unknown said...

Hey, our t.v. in Oklahoma was like that. We had to bang on it and it hung around for years. Eventually it got to the point where we had to hit it more and more frequently until it just got ridiculous. Then the banging stopped working altogether and that's when we had to break down and buy a new one. Ugh.
Are you talking flat panel flat screen (plasma or LCD) or just flat screen in general? Do I hear the letters HDTV?

http://richardbarron.net/ said...

If you put a piece of bread soaked in gravy in the middle of all that, it will make the sandwich moister and more delicious.

Your television turned green because cathode ray tube televisions use three electron "guns" to create the picture, red, green and blue. When the contacts get old and the insulation becomes brittle, sometimes one or more of the guns stops shooting electrons at your screen.

Flat panel televisions use a different technology.

99% of television sucks. Nothing else has that kind of sucking level.