12/15/2008

Tonight, My Kids Went to Bed Hungry

Before you go worrying about our financial stability, let me explain.

About once a year my children CHOOSE to go to bed hungry. Tonight was the night. It was the one time a year that I make Split Pea Soup.

(this is only a photo that I ganked off the internet)

Yep, you guessed it... they won't touch the stuff. I LOVE it. And Geoff LOVES it. And not one of my kids will touch it. But when it gets really cold outside I crave it. So, I make it. The kids get one roll and some juice and if they eat their soup they're allowed more roll and juice. They have NEVER eaten more than one roll. Does this make me a mean mommy? Or does telling them that we're having Split Pea Soup for dinner tomorrow night as well make me a mean mommy?

post signature

16 comments:

dottie said...

I ADORE split pea soup!!!

And no you aren't a mean mommy. It's telling them that this is what you put your heart and soul into making for your family and you won't bow down to them! I'M WITH YA SISTA!!!!

No need to cater to little people. Who knows one day they might decide it's not that bad, just really green :)

amberd. said...

I'm with the kids on this one....and someday, they may get you back when they throw your butt into an old folks home where they serve FAKE rubbery mashed potatoes (or something worse.)

okmft said...

Since we are voting, I vote with Steph! She was totally nice about it too, but they wouldn't even try it! She's actually nicer than me, since I would have been firm also but probably wouldn't have served a roll with it!

Plus, it actually was yum-yum good!!!

http://richardbarron.net/ said...

Did I not JUST the other day say that it's good for your spirit to go to bed hungry once in a while. Also, I think it would be a lot healthier for us as a nation to be grateful for ANY food that is put before us, and I think this makes that point to your kids.

http://richardbarron.net/ said...

Oh, and also this: I make an excellent vegan split pea soup. I actually made pinto beans in the crock last night, which will be ready for dinner tonight. That reminds me that I need to pick up some tortillas. Am I rambling? Yes, I am rambling. My dad had a Rambler back in the 1960s. My sister and I still argue to this day about whether it was light green or white.

Steph said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
amberd. said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

It does look disgusting but I'm sure it was good. You are nicer than me, though; I wouldn't have given them a roll or juice! So at least they had that. And they did have a choice...when I serve something questionable and I see my kids eyeing the rolls/bread, I always say the rolls are for those people who eat their dinner. But I usually cave and let them have ONE roll. Don't know if I would serve it again the next day!!!

Alison B said...

I agree with Shelly. THis happens at our house almost nightly, though. Abby barely eats anything. I wish I had her appetite and self control! Anyways, the roll is for people who eat dinner. or at least try as many bites as many years old you are. I guess I'm mean. I just can't eat chicken nuggets and mac and cheese nightly like they would like to. I have heard split pea soup is great, though. I need to try it, and I'm SURE my kids will NOT eat it. I'm not even sure Mark will like it. :)

Anonymous said...

well I will say this EWWWWWW!
Though I'm the only one in my household that likes peas,the thought of looking @ them ground and mushed just doesn't look that appealing :(.You did the right thing w/ the kiddos,maybe oneday they will atleast try it. :)

Unknown said...

Where's Flashback FRIDAY!?!?! Dork.

Tommy McClain said...

You're a mean mommy! Hated it when mom & dad did it to us, and still hate it today. Not everybody has the same tastes, but eventually they'll try things on their own terms. I know I have. There are lot of things I didn't like when I was a kid, but I like now. But there were a few things that I was forced to eat that traumatized me enough that I still won't eat them to this day. Just something to keep in mind later down the road when you start wonder why the kids are the way they are. ;)

Steph said...

Sorry about the absence of Flashback Friday... I've learned that I just can't do it all!!

Tommy, the difference between our experiences and that of my kids is that I didn't MAKE the kids eat anything... they had a choice! I remember being forced to eat my creamed corn one night and then throwing it all up... won't touch it to this day!!

Tommy McClain said...

Not much of a choice. Eat something I don't like or nothing at all. In essence being forced to choose something they never wanted in the first place. Kinda conjures up feelings from The Matrix & it's philosphy with regard to human choice. It's just an illusion.

D-lyn said...

Oh I don;t know how it happened but my kiddos will eat soup and salad and broccolli and I don't know why.
I never did as a kid but as an Adult I season and season until it tastes really yummy. I also have them in the kitchen helping cut and prep which I think makes them want to taste too when I do and then they sometimes copy my words "oh I think it needs more...."
i think the more things they get to taste the more experience they have to really judge what they like and don't like. Sadly my kids don't like marinara sauce on spaghetti. I love it.... As a mom you never know what they will like or not until you try. Hey they really weren't starving. But they also saw your example of how much you liked it too. Someday they will wonder or want a sip. :)

The Wagoner Gang said...

When we are having something that he doesn't think he will like, he quickly decides to try it when he realizes that's all there is! Yes, he is picky but he doesn't like to go to bed without eating!!!! Great Job, Steph!