5/20/2007

Adendum to 'Mother's Day'

So, I read Ashley's post about her Mother's Day and felt slightly shameful that I hadn't mentioned my mother or any other mothers that have influenced me as a mother. So here goes. For as long as I can remember my mother and I have struggled to have a meaningful relationship. For several reasons (of which I will not go into detail), now I am happy to say that I feel like my my mom and I have a great relationship. I feel like we have both come to a place in our lives where we can love each other unconditionally and without unattainable expectations. Whenever I truly need her she is there for me. Thank you, Mom. I love you. It would be impossible to acknowledge all of the mothers that I love but here are just a few: My mother-in-law. I love her. She is an amazing source of optimism and she cares deeply for her children and even more so for her grandchildren. My best friend Shelley. Now she might be embarrassed that I'm saying this, but I think she is one of the best mothers on the planet. She would sacrifice anything for her children and their happiness (even her sanity) . One day, after doing something truly spectacular for Ainsley I asked her "Who's the best mom in the world?". Now surely she would have said me because of the great thing I had just done for her but she didn't. She resolutely replied "Shelley". There you have it. Finally, my sister Terra. She has been a great mother figure to my children for years though she only just recently had a child of her own. For years, now, she has helped me construct beautiful birthday cakes, put kids to sleep, teach a child to twist her tongue, and various other motherly type things. Her influence on me is unmeasurable. She is a great mother! I love you all!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Niiiiiiiice picture of me with my evil mother smile on! You are so sweet! NO more sweetness, just funny stuff; you're gonna make me cry!

amberd. said...

Your not on my list of great mothers either.....



Hehehehe...just kidding! Nice thoughts...I wish I had good thoughts these days.... =)

Anonymous said...

oh...so you DO love me afterall! : ) thanks sis. i've loved every moment of it.