5/08/2007

Something Bigger Than Myself

Last Friday night the girls and I went to the Relay for Life here in our hometown. I've been waiting for a quiet moment in my life to share my thoughts about my experience - ha! I figure that I better go ahead and just do it or I will forget what I want to say! For a couple of weeks Aspen has been asking me for $10 to be on Mrs. Hazell's 'walking team'. I didn't really know what she was talking about but I knew it had something to do with Relay for Life. Once again, I didn't know what Relay for Life was or what it was for but I knew a couple of people that had mentioned that they were going to this function. Geoff and Asher went to the Father/Son camp out with church so I thought that it might be fun to have girls' night with Aspen, Ainsley, and Andyn and we went to this Relay for Life thing. So, I found out right away that it was a fund raiser for the cancer society. (So shoot me because I had never heard of it!!) It was held at the multi-sports complex which has a football field and track. There were tents and little portable gazebos set along the inside of the track. At first I was confused about the tents but my friend Dottie filled me in. These 'teams' walk from 6:30pm to 6:30am taking turns walking around the track. Each team tries to keep at least one team member on the track at all times. The tents were for sleeping and the gazebos were for small scale fund raising events (i.e. face painting -.50, ice cream - $1, and even a jail -for $1 you could have someone arrested - this was popular among the W.I. students and teachers!). Well, since everyone (but me) knows what this is I'll just share how I felt. They kicked it off with a lap around the track from survivors of cancer as we all cheered them on. Go ahead, call me a big boob, but I really struggled to hold back the tears. I could not stop thinking about my grandmother who recently finished up some treatments for breast cancer and my mother-in-law who is courageously battling a very nasty form of cancer. Even now as I type I struggle to hold in my emotions! The next lap was for everyone and let me tell you I'm just glad that I had sunglasses on. It was a little overwhelming. The girls had a great time getting their faces painted, eating hot dogs, visiting various people in 'jail', and basically just running around the field and track with their friends. I enjoyed visiting with teachers and staff from the girls' school in a more laid back setting. Then when my friend Lolly showed up we took the baby for a few laps around the track for our team. This was an experience not easily to be forgotten and as for me and my house - we'll be relayers for life! Aspen's teacher (Mrs. Hazell) in jail and forcing her students to do the time with her!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

LOVE it! You forgot to mention the symbolism in walking all night long. I think that part is really interesting 'cause when you look at the times at first you think, why didn't they walk 6:30am to 6:30pm instead? Not that I'm trying to tell you how to write your friggin' blog!