6/04/2007

If All Else Fails - Use Accelerant!

This is what Uncle Jeff told my kids when he was showing them how to build a fire on our camping trip!! We went camping for Memorial Day weekend but I'm just now getting around to posting about our experience. Mostly because I thought it might take me a while to organize my thoughts about it because it was kind of a crazy weekend!!

We got to Lake Tenkiller on Saturday morning and my sister and her husband had camped the night before. Everything went pretty smoothly getting set up. We had to set our tent on a little bit of a slope but didn't think that would be too big of a deal. After everything was set up we realized that we had forgotten the rutter and centerboard for the sailboat that we had brought so Geoff and Jeff (so me and Terra both married Geoffs (Jeffs)- what can I say!) took the kids fishing and left Terra and I with the babies. This was fine with me as I DID NOT want to go fishing! I was a little disappointed about the sailboat thing! It was a pretty lazy afternoon and the weather was perfect. Terra and I got camp set up perfectly how we wanted it! That night we made burritos and roasted smores. The kids went to bed with out much resistance and we stayed up till our eyes started to give in - about 10:30pm (we're old!). Then the real fun started! It came a monsoon! We thought that we were doing pretty good. We didn't see any leaks in the tent. But then started a consistent drip on Geoff's forehead. I told him it was Chinese Water Torture! We made it through the night, or at least I did, with some good sleep. When we woke the next morning we found out that poor Aspen was soaked! I don't know how she slept like that but she did and didn't seem to be super bothered by it. Remember that slope I mentioned, well, it served as great way to dam up some water right at the entrance to the tent. It was a nice touch. We decided that we would stick it out because surely it wouldn't rain all weekend. Well, we were partly wrong. Geoff and Jeff went fishing and this time left all the kids with me and Terra. Not 10 minutes after they left the monsoon returned! After 30 minutes of trying to stay dry under the holey tarp that Jeff rigged up and the kids being confined to the tent we decided that we had had enough! We called our husbands and said we were packing up and going to my dad's (about an hour away)! Now that was the life! Dry bed to sleep in, good food, and a swimming pool to boot! Oh, and it didn't rain a drop after we left!

PS Try not to be too critical of Asher's getup! I know he looks like a teletubby but it is all in the name of safety!!

No comments: