This was difficult. We said our last goodbyes. I was really sad that I had not brought my two oldest daughters. But, they will have an opportunity to say their goodbyes at a memorial service that will be held in two weeks back here in Hastings.
For those of you who never knew Dawne, you would have been a better person if you had. She LOVED her husband, children, and grandchildren. She lived for them. I truly believe that love kept her going so long. Two and a half years ago she was diagnosed with Angio Sarcoma. I don't know a lot about this type of cancer but I believe it's in the fluid and blood. She was given about 2 months to live. She obviously beat the odds. I think she made little goals... hang in there till Christmas... hang in there till her children and grandchildren visit from NC and OK... hang in there till her latest 2 grandkids were born... till she could see those 2 grandkids.... you get the picture. But her body finally gave out.
Dawne was loved by all. I know a lot of people say things like this about people who have died but this is literally true about Dawne. She worked at the local bank for several years (and even some after she was diagnosed and started treatment) answering the phone and usually greeting people as they came in. She knew almost everyone by name and genuinely cared about them and their families. She had a running list of people she cared about with their addresses. Each of their birthdays were acknowledged by Dawne with a handmade card. She probably sent hundreds of cards each year. These weren't just family members (though it did include ALL immediate and extended family). She sent them to all the Relief Society sisters, primary kids, various people that she had met throughout her life even my family members have received many a card. She especially took pride in her homemade Christmas cards each year. It always had a picture of her and Kent with all their kids, their spouses and her grandchildren. I remember one year when we weren't able to all be together at the same time, she photo-shopped in the missing people. When I say photo-shopped I mean she cut out pictures of the missing people with an exact-o knife and pasted them in. She really didn't like computers and I don't think I ever saw her touch one! Ainsley's birthday was last Wednesday. She still received her special birthday card in the mail.
I thought it might be nice to do a little video with pictures of Dawne. Just my little way of acknowledging her. I miss her. I love how she never judged me. How she always loved me regardless of stupid things that I might do or say. She was very forgiving of my short comings. Not everybody is like her.
6 comments:
Steph, This is beautiful thank you for sharing with us such a beautiful person!!! I know this must have been hard for u to type!!I know that u loved her!! Dawne helpd create such a beautiful famely!!!! I love you guys!!
Jenn McElroy
Turned out great Steph. I really liked the song choice. Love you guys, I'm thinking of you.
I'm so sorry for your families loss. No matter what a person believes about the next life, it's still a hard thing to go threw. Your video of pictures made me cry. What a special lady!
What a beautiful tribute to an obviously wonderful person.
Your family is in our thoughts and prayers!
Welcome home......
what a beautiful video you made!
thinking of you guys...
ashley
Nicley done, Steph. It was nice to see you and Geoff. We all look forward to seeing you and the kids soon.
Post a Comment