3/16/2008

Garage Sale Booty

I'm so glad that garage sale season is up a running around here! Another plus to living in the South! There really is only 3 or 4 months that garage saling takes a break. There are some who still go in the cold but I'm content NOT going! Last week I taught a class on frugality at church and one of the many things that I talked about was garage saling. I truly believe that one of the most important activities in a frugal lifestyle is garage saling. I have here a picture of my finds.
On this particular day I only spent $11.75. Some weekends I spend more, some weekends I spend less. I thought I might give you a run down of what I got and how much it cost. This may be boring to some of you - go ahead and skip it - I promise that I won't be offended! This is mainly for posterity anyway!
  1. Plastic pitcher -25¢ . Andyn plays in our bottom cabinet and has destroyed all of our pitchers. They were all made of acrylic so they would bust when she would slam them on the tile floor! This one is made of plastic. Hopefully, we will have better luck with it!
  2. Pizza Stone from Pampered Chef -$1. I LOVE when I find Pampered Chef stuff at garage sales!! Mainly because I can almost never afford to buy anything when I go to those parties! I was REALLY needing another pizza stone, too. We've been making a lot of homemade pizza lately!
  3. Basketball -$1. Our brand new basketball was inadvertently switched with the neighbors' and they insist that it's theirs. The one we 'inherited' is always going flat so $1 was a good price for one that we may not be able to claim as our own forever!
  4. Outdoor Light Timer Doo-Hickie - 75¢. I bought this so that next year at Christmas time we won't have to remember to turn off the Christmas lights outside!
  5. What I Wish I'd Known When I Was Single by John Bytheway -50¢. Honestly, I bought this because it was written by a well known LDS author. I have some weird obsession with purchasing items at garage sales that are of LDS origin because I think it's fascinating that in the Bible Belt I can actually do that. Especially, in our little town because I pretty much know all the members at our ward! When I brought it home Geoff read it and said that it was really good and we should make our kids read it!
  6. Golden Field Guides: Reptiles of North America -50¢. This book was brand new. I don't think anyone had read it. Why would they... gross. But strangely enough my daughter loves these little critters and I got it for her for her birthday. She's going to love it! (And I love the price!)
  7. Brand New Sippie Cup -50¢. We're always needing these.
  8. 9x9 Cake Pan -50¢. I only have 8x8. Everybody needs 9x9!
  9. Mini Muffin Tins -50¢ each. I posted earlier about these yummy treats that I made for Valentine's Day. Well, you're suppose to have mini muffin tins to do it. I have some but you can never make enough of these buggers so I bought more!
  10. 3 Outfits, 1 Sleeper, 2 Dresses, 4 tops (all size 24 months) -$4.25. I keep my older kids' clothes to hand down to siblings but sometimes it's fun to buy 'new' stuff and for $4.25 it's hard to turn away! These items were all in great condition with no holes, rips, or stains. The tops were all 25¢ each. The green shirt and shorts were 50¢ for the set and they were from Children's Place! The most expensive was the halter top outfit and it was $1. Amazing. I really don't know why more people don't garage sale.
  11. 4 Pair of Shoes -$2. I know that a lot of people think that it's wrong to buy used shoes. Hogwash! These shoes were barely if ever worn. Clean as clean can be. I know many a people who grew up wearing hand me down or used shoes and NEVER had any feet problems. To say that wearing used shoes causes issues later in life is simply NOT scientifically founded. I found this really good article if you want to read it.
I promise not to recount to you all the good deals I get every week garage saling. I just want to give you a taste of the sweet life! :) So there you have it! Let the sales begin!

3 comments:

Steph said...

My wife is amazing! - Geoff

Unknown said...

Oh man, I'm so jealous. I've never had a pizza stone and would love one. Also, I was just looking for mini muffin tins at the store the other day and couldn't find them. AARGH! I hope it warms up soon here so the sales can start!

amberd. said...

I think I put my pizza stone in a garage sale once. You are so funny steph! I love you!