3/27/2008

Tonsillectomy, Adenoidectomy, Ear Tube Placement... Oh My!

It might be an understatement to say that it's been a little crazy around here! On Tuesday Asher and Andyn both had outpatient surgery. Asher had his tonsils and adenoids removed and Andyn had her adenoids removed plus tubes put in her ears! Back to back on the same day. When the doctor scheduled it this way I thought it would be fine because we would just get it all over with at once. I still feel that way but it has been a little crazy! This is a picture of Asher right before they took him into the O.R.

I didn't snap one of Andyn because, truthfully, I was bawling. I think I snapped this photo to take my mind off of them leaving me. We had thoroughly prepared Asher. He knew exactly what was going to happen. Unfortunately, we left out the part that we wouldn't be going in with him. As they wheeled him away he looked up at me with kinda sad eyes and asked "aren't you going with me, Mom?". Crap! "No, baby, the doctors will take really good care of you and there's no reason to be afraid." He leaves perfectly fine... I dissolved into tears.

Now, they were both out of it when they brought them to us in recovery. It was a little heartbreaking. After a few hours of being home I think the morphine had wore off. Or maybe it was just really kicking in! This is what he was doing:

It has been a little touch and go some moments but overall Asher has done really well. Andyn was really miserable the whole first day and half of the next but she's pretty much back to her shinanagins today! (previous post)

One last note, Asher woke up in a panic the first morning after his surgery because his throat hurt so bad and Geoff got up rather quickly to get him some of his pain medication. I had gotten up to get the baby when I heard Geoff calmly say my name from the bathroom (where he was trying to get Asher to take his meds). I ran in there and basically... long story, short... Geoff passed out. I won't go into details so I won't embarrass Geoff but I had no idea what was happening and it scared me to death! Geoff is very healthy and rarely gets sick. For him to have such an episode was very uncharacteristic. This experience caused me to take inventory of a few things. Primarily, my love for my husband. I love you, Geoff. You're so good to me and I would be lost without you.

1 comment:

amberd. said...

I'm soo glad everyone is ok! Your such a "mom" ha ha! i would be bawling too!