10/21/2007

Tooth Fairy's Little Helper

Several months ago, Aspen caught me off guard by asking me if The Tooth Fairy was real. I didn't have an emergency escape plan! I asked her if she thought the Tooth Fairy was real and she proceeded to explain to me that SHE believed in the tooth fairy but asked me if I was like her helper or something. Seeing a smooth way out of this I explained to her "why yes, I am her helper". (Oh the lies we tell our kids so that they will remain innocent for as long as possible!) I remember a while back when Caleb (Shelley's son) was trying to tell my kids that Santa Claus and The Tooth Fairy and all wasn't real - it was just their parents. And I told my kids that it was okay if he didn't believe anymore but The Tooth Fairy wouldn't bring him money or special trinkets anymore. I think my kids decided they were going to believe it even if it wasn't true! So, Aspen asked me if she could help me help The Tooth Fairy next time that Ainsley lost a tooth. I agreed. Under the condition that she didn't tell Ainsley our little secret! Well, it finally happened. Ainsley lost another tooth: To be honest, I had forgotten about the little pact that I had made with Aspen. She didn't. She let me know in a somewhat discreet manner that she was in on it! She pulled me aside and told me to wake her up after Ainsley had gone to sleep and she would help me. Well, I forgot! Ainsley woke up the next morning and informed me that The Tooth Fairy had not come. Having done this before (the first time I did this I ran to my bathroom and called Shelley crying not knowing what to do!) I informed her that sometimes The Tooth Fairy is really busy and is running behind schedule and that if she would go get ready for school and maybe even go outside and ride her bike for a few minutes that I was sure that The Tooth Fairy would come. She looked at me and said "That's alright, Mom. I would rather her come tonight so that I can show all my friends at school my tooth!" Works for me! Aspen and I accomplished our mission that night and it was kind of fun having Aspen help! Just a note of recognition. The drawing of The Tooth Fairy was done by a lady named Sarah Mensinga. I found the drawing when I googled for Tooth Fairy images. She posts drawings, sketches, and paintings on her own blog and I asked her if I could use it on my blog. She graciously sad yes. If you get a minute you should take a look at some of her work. I think it's really good! Sarah's Sketches Print Page

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS AINSLEY, I know you tried and tried to get that tooth pulled at school last week :)

I like the helper idea, it's GREAT!