Basically, they're a sheet of pasta wrapped around a potato/cheese mixture and either boiled, fried, or baked. We ate them dipped in sour cream and till we were sick to our stomachs! They were delicious! I haven't had pierogies since then but this weekend at the grocery store a box of them caught my eye in the frozen section and I just couldn't resist! Geoff and I ate the whole box yesterday! I thought I was going to be sick but they were so good. I don't think they were as good as homemade (it's been so long it's hard to remember) but they were tasty none-the-less! Out of curiosity I looked up their nutritional value, scared of what I was going to find, and was sort of surprised they didn't have more calories. Let's just say that I ate half of the 12 count box and Geoff ate the other half (in reality I maybe had one more than Geoff) that was only 380 calories! As long as I didn't eat anything else (and I didn't) the caloric intake wasn't too bad. Not as good and nutritious as a salad but not horrible either! Oh well, maybe I'll try them again in 15 years or so!
8/20/2007
Mrs. T's Pierogies
Years ago when I was single and living by myself in an apartment in Tulsa a good friend of mine - Tracy Smith - came over to my place and made me homemade pierogies.
Basically, they're a sheet of pasta wrapped around a potato/cheese mixture and either boiled, fried, or baked. We ate them dipped in sour cream and till we were sick to our stomachs! They were delicious! I haven't had pierogies since then but this weekend at the grocery store a box of them caught my eye in the frozen section and I just couldn't resist! Geoff and I ate the whole box yesterday! I thought I was going to be sick but they were so good. I don't think they were as good as homemade (it's been so long it's hard to remember) but they were tasty none-the-less! Out of curiosity I looked up their nutritional value, scared of what I was going to find, and was sort of surprised they didn't have more calories. Let's just say that I ate half of the 12 count box and Geoff ate the other half (in reality I maybe had one more than Geoff) that was only 380 calories! As long as I didn't eat anything else (and I didn't) the caloric intake wasn't too bad. Not as good and nutritious as a salad but not horrible either! Oh well, maybe I'll try them again in 15 years or so!
Basically, they're a sheet of pasta wrapped around a potato/cheese mixture and either boiled, fried, or baked. We ate them dipped in sour cream and till we were sick to our stomachs! They were delicious! I haven't had pierogies since then but this weekend at the grocery store a box of them caught my eye in the frozen section and I just couldn't resist! Geoff and I ate the whole box yesterday! I thought I was going to be sick but they were so good. I don't think they were as good as homemade (it's been so long it's hard to remember) but they were tasty none-the-less! Out of curiosity I looked up their nutritional value, scared of what I was going to find, and was sort of surprised they didn't have more calories. Let's just say that I ate half of the 12 count box and Geoff ate the other half (in reality I maybe had one more than Geoff) that was only 380 calories! As long as I didn't eat anything else (and I didn't) the caloric intake wasn't too bad. Not as good and nutritious as a salad but not horrible either! Oh well, maybe I'll try them again in 15 years or so!
Posted by
Steph
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I love pierogies! My Russian teacher from Siberia would make for my family when I was a senior in highschool. Then we found them again at a renaissence festival. I could eat a dozen if I let myself. I will have to try these.
I love potatoes. I am going to have to try these. I don't think I have ever had a pierogi...I know deprived life. LOL
Heidi
they're so good. my mom's from canada and her family is from ukraine and they eat these at every family gathering. my great aunt has always given us homemade ones every christmas. nothing beats homemade. my mom makes them all the time and i can eat a zillion of them as well. i've boughten them a few times at costco or sam's, can't remember which, and they're tasty too!
This is Lolly! My husband is Canadian so we too LOVE Pierogies! However, we go a step beyond sour cream. While they are boiling, we sautee bacon and onions. Then, we add the boiled pierogies to the pan and fry them for a little bit. After that you dump them on a plate and smoother them with liquid cheese (like Nacho cheese but not the jalapeno version) and sour cream on top of that. Let's say Fatty McFatterson!
We should plan a date night to eat these the traditional way.
You posted a post about Perogies? hehehe
Put season salt on them and fry them in a pan baby! Yummy!
Post a Comment