1/12/2008

Christmas in Michigan

We only thought our troubles were over when we left St. Louis! Not so.

As we leave Amber's house we drive straight into a serious case of the fog! It was really bad. Especially as we drove over the Mississippi river. We thought it might let up after crossing the river but it did not. It got worse. I called my brother to have him look up the weather forcast in the region that we would be driving. There was a fog advisory. More particularly, exactly where we were at was a "freezing" fog advisory. Geoff posted earlier about this if you want to read it I think you will find it quited entertaining. Just to back him up for those of you who think he is full of poo because YOU'VE never heard of "freezing fog" here is a description taken from Wikipedia:

"Freezing fog occurs when liquid fog droplets freeze to surfaces, forming white rime ice. This is very common on mountain tops which are exposed to low clouds. It is equivalent to freezing rain, and essentially the same as the ice that forms inside a freezer which is not of the "frostless" or "frost-free" type. In some areas such as in the State of Oregon, the term "freezing fog" refers to fog where water vapor is super-cooled filling the air with small ice crystals similar to very light snow. It seems to make the fog "tangible", as if one could "grab a handful"."

It was crazy!

Well, we got to Hastings just in time to catch the Holly Trolley with Geoff's family. You can read about that in this previous post. Here are some pictures from our evening of caroling and riding around Hastings:

These next pictures are from the family gift exchange after the Holly Trolley. Aspen is holding a VERY special gift that each family recieved from Dawne. She had started this very special project before she passed away and Karin was able to tie up the loose ends so that they could presented at the special occasion. The gift was a story that Dawne had written about her Great Grandmother Eleanor that she had printed in book format and a hand sketched paper doll mounted on sturdy board. Fortunately, the entire story was written and all of the paper dolls were finished before she passed away. The only thing left to do was finish having them printed and adding a bow to the front (per her handwritten notes). They turned out beautiful. What a very special gift. Kent is reading Luke 2 in the following photos. It was really nice to see all of the family. The cousins were pleased as punch to see each other!

While we were there, we took the kids to visit Grandma's grave. They did really good. Somehow I don't think it has really hit them. It's hard because we live so far away and they don't get to see this side of the family very often. I, on the other hand, had a hard time. I feel the sadness creeping in on me even as I type this up. I miss her.

On our way out we stopped at Mooville farms. The best way I can describe it is: it's a lot like Braum's here in OK. Only it's not a chain. It would be like visiting the farms at Tuttle, OK. This is where I thought I had lost my camera. FYI, Geoff found my camera in the diaper bag several days after we got back at 3 in the morning at my dad's house. This was after I had purchased another one on ebay to replace it! No worries, my sister is buying it from me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

OOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooh Braum's! You HAD to bring that up!