1/31/2008

Gordon B. Hinckley

On Sunday, the president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints passed away at the age of 97. This is the church to which I belong. He was working in his office up until about 3 days before. His death was due to old age. You can read about his life and death here. It is short and more eloquently stated than I could manage. Please take a moment to read about this great man.

Here are a few of my less eloquent thoughts. 97!!! He gave more than 70 years of service to the Lord and to this church!! He loved us. O, how he loved us. When he spoke at the General Conferences twice a year, people (myself included) could feel how much he loved us. He was witty. He would often make small jokes or comments that would have everybody chuckling! Was he perfect? No. Did he make mistakes? Yes. Who doesn't? But he loved Heavenly Father and he spent his life in service of Him and strove for perfection... everyday. What a great example.

This tribute pretty much sums it up for me. Gordon B. Hinckley June 23, 1910-January 27, 2008

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Such a sweet man. I'm so glad he can be reunited with his wife. They were so loving and devoted to each other. Even though she only passed a few years ago, I'll bet those few were the longest of his life.

amberd. said...

hey - thanks for this. Man - it was tough to watch - only because his words peirce me and I know I need to be so much more than I am.

Cindi M said...

Thanks for this Steph, I'm putting it on my blog as well so my kids can watch it whenever they want!

kimhumpherys said...

Loved it, loved it! I put it on my blog as well so we can enjoy it!

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

I will miss him! It was good to see the press conference today. I was excited to see Elder Uchtdorf called as a counselor. I came over from LDS Blogging Women by the way!